Monday, February 18, 2008

Began Installing Cheek Plates

According to the instruction manual, this step was supposed to have taken 1 hour, hah. Worked for 2 hours in am setting up fillets for the backsides of the plates then fashioning some wedges to hold them in place till they cured. that took the 2 hours, with the help of my first mate I might mention. Later in the afternoon after some curing of the previously aforementioned work, I turned the kayak over and applied fillets to the outside top edges of the cheek plates. That is what you're seeing in the pics. Maybe tomorrow I'll flip it back over and finish applying the remaining fillets to the bottom of the plates.





Sunday, February 17, 2008

Back in the Cradles

After what seemed to be an eternity for the second end pour to setup, was able to replace the kayak back into its homey crib/cradle. Waiting to be attacked again tomorrow.


Couldn't Resist Trying to Capture the Moon

As I was waiting for the second end pour to set up and cure I noticed the moon was peeking over the building where I had the kayak leaning so I tried to get a few picks of that as well.








Straightening Up the Shop

Seems like I was spending as much time looking for a particular tool as was needed to actually use it so while the second end pour was curing I took the time to attempt to somewhat straighten up and organize the remaining tools needed into a somewhat orderly fashion.



Much better now.


Second End Pour

After the first end pour had cured which didn't take very long, maybe about 30 minutes till solid, I inverted the kayak positioning the opposite end readying it for it's end pour. Maybe you can see how my bucket works here.


After the second end pour which was to the stern end.




The sun was setting and temperature was dropping so it took a little longer for this end pour to set up.


End Pours?

Okay, so in between everything else that I was doing today, I had to stand the kayak up on it's end and mix up about a cup or more of epoxy and pour inside the ends of the kayak which will provide strength to the bow and stern.


Before end pour.


I fashioned this nifty little dump bucket to lower into lowest part of the internal ends with two cords attached. One to lower, the other used to raise or tip the bucket over and pour its contents directly into the pockets in the ends of the kayak where I was not able to reach with a brush earlier in construction.



After first end pour.


Got Lots Done Today

Applied some strips to the undersides of the hatches to allow for either a brass or stainless steel hook hook to be inserted. I'll have the hatches held down with bungee cords attached to the inside of the hatches in order to keep the top smooth and clean.

After a few hours, the added strips where adhered enough to go ahead and apply a full coat of epoxy to the exposed pieces of raw wood. Remember all wood needs to completely sealed by epoxy to prevent water from penetrating the wood which is not good! This brings me to the next post which was also accomplished today and that was the end pours. check out the next post for more details.



Test Fit

First thing this am was to set the kayak down on some pads and do a test fit partly just for fun but, mainly to get the positioning of the cheek plates established.

Cheek plates locations established and needed to be trimmed slightly for that almost perfect fit.



Backing for the cheek plates was suggested so epoxied them on to the backside early in the day.



Later in the afternoon the backing plates where secured enough that a coat of clear epoxy could be applied before the actual installation which will hopefully occur tomorrow.


Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hatches Almost Done

All clamps removed this afternoon and some remaining gaps where filled with epoxy mixed with cab-o-sil so there would be no cavities to hold any water. This should allow for flush fitting hatches for a smoother, cleaner looking deck.





Friday, February 15, 2008

Glued up Hatch Sills

Today after cutting the hatches previously, I glued(epoxied) in the hatch spacers and sills which will support and keep the hatch covers flush with the deck and also help to seal the hatch openings by ultimately creating a waterproof seal. Also backed up the rear hatch cover with a piece of thin mahogany to strengthen the hatch in case of added weight on top due to a wet reentry.






Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cut Hatches, Yikes





Today had a very apprehensive job ahead and that was to try to saw through the top to create the storage hatch covers. Tried the jigsaw method and it seemed to wander too much. Luckily I had started on the rear hatch and only on one side. Once I saw the results of the cut, I immediately decided to try another approach. The Japanese saw set that I had ordered previously came with a small, narrow blade which I used on the remainder of the hatches. It was slow going , especially around the corners. Still have to epoxy in the hatch spacers, sills, and weatherproofing materal.