Thursday, January 31, 2008

Deck attached, clean up before glassing

Well Tuesday removed the straps and plastic wrap, then began smoothing the deck with planes, japanese rasp, surform tool , cabinet scrapers, and hand held sandpaper. Seems like the planes, cabinet scrapers, and sandpaper produced the best results. Then began to trim the overhang around the perimeter of the hull so that the deck would become one with the complete boat.



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Permanently Attaching Deck to Hull

After mixing up some very thick epoxy with cab-o-sil, the deck was permanently attached to the hull using rachet clamps and plastic wrap to fill in the gaps.



Monday, January 28, 2008

2nd Coat of Epoxy on Underside of Deck

Sunday, finished 2nd coat of epoxy over the fiberglass on the underside of the deck which is really bringing through the deep colors. This time I used a 3" foam mini roller to equalize the epoxy after application with brush and squeegee. Should have used this technique on the hull as I think it would alleviated a lot of the runs and sags that developed after the epoxy set for a couple of hours


Saturday, January 26, 2008

Smoothing and Fiberglassing of Underside of Deck

Well they say when you fall of your horse, you get back on it so after the nasty spill I took last night after tripping over some electrical cords and shop vac, taking some heat from my co-workers about how the other guy fared or that I fell of my skate board, I decided to continue with progress of the kayak. Cleaned up the underside of the deck mostly using an assortment of cabinet scrapers in different shapes. This seemed to work the best, then took a litre water bottle and wrapped sandpaper around it to smooth up the surface. From there I attempted to lay on the fiberglass cloth without snagging it by laying old sheets on the deck first. This worked alright and I tried to trim the cloth so that I'll have enough for the topside of deck when it comes time for that. I'm afraid that I'll have to obtain more cloth to finish up since in the beginning, I wasn't to concerned with not having enough. After applying the epoxy to the fiberglass and trying to fill the weave as even as possible, I stood back and admired the deep colors of the natural wood evolving through the finish. This is a good indication of what the topside of the deck will appear like. Still have to apply two more coats of epoxy to the current underside of the deck, hopefully tomorrow.



Friday, January 25, 2008

Removed Stripped Deck

On Thursday, I removed the deck first by removing all the staples and gently lifting up all along the edges till the whole top was loose. I'm glad that the duct tape was applied to the tops of the temporary forms to facilitate the ease of removing the deck as the deck released easily since the glue didn't stick to the duct tape. Then I knocked out all of the temporary forms and set the deck back on to visualize the almost finished project without the deck forms in the way.



Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Deck Is Stripped -- Finally

Finished stripping the deck today. The last 6 strips along the side of the cockpit has taken me 3 days to complete. But now its done and I can move on to the next step which consists of removing the top from the forms, flipping it over and fiberglassing the underside of the deck( after smoothing and sanding of course).




Monday, January 21, 2008

Almost Done Stripping

Today was spent continuing to fit the last few remaining strips all the way down to the sheer line. Will continue tomorrow with the last couple of strips which will probably take some time to fit properly


Saturday, January 19, 2008

More Strips Added

Took a break Thursday but was able to get quite a few more strips added on Friday. Rubbed some denatured alcohol onto the wood strips in an attempt to capture the beauty of the wood when it will be in its finished stage after the epoxy as been applied.



Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comin Along on the Deck

The last two days were spent continuing to fit the pieces into the deck and working the different shades of cedar into some kind of subtle transitional blend from dark to light




.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Making a Little Headway On Deck

Today was pretty productive after first couple of strips next to the centerplank were installed, I began to figure out the best steps for ways to make the end joints fit tight. With the help of my first mate as seen in the 2nd picture, a considerable amount of time was spent deciding which strips would be laid next to each other as I moved down from the centerline both forward of the cockpit and behind it in order to come up with the most uniform and visually appealing design.



Sunday, January 13, 2008

Contrast Strips part 2

Few more pics of the contrast strips fitted today. This is a slow process and progress is not as gratifying as with the previous steps of constructing the hull.